10 Tips on Business Etiquette
Starting your first job? Not sure of business etiquette?
1. When you are introduced to someone always stand up, smile, and look them in the eye. When you shake hands, have a firm grip but not too hard.
Shake long enough for both of you to say your names. Exchange cards if you are from different companies.
2. Try to repeat their name back within the conversation.
This helps you remember and it shows respect to the other person.
3. Dress professionally, be careful of your posture , and walk with an air of confidence
4. Make sure your mobile phone ring tone is professional and not offensive.
5. Don’t take a call while you are in a meeting. If you are expecting a crucial call, tell the meeting at the beginning. Excuse yourself, make the call brief and then return to the meeting.
6. Place your mobile phone in your pocket or briefcase, so you are not tempted to play with it or be distracted during the meeting.
7. Never text during a meeting or conversation.
8. For business texts, always use correct grammar and punctuation. Using short hand is unprofessional.
9. Make your e-mail address professional and recognizable.
10. Use correct grammar and punctuation for business emails . Always use a subject line, and footer with your name, business title, contact information and a link to your website.
Remember it is really just a question of good manners!